02 March, 2011

Sports Nut

I've come to the realization that I am a sports nut.
Not a fanatic, but certainly a nut.
Especially for a girl.

Certainly my first love was baseball. I have very vivid and happy memories of riding in my Dad's old white work van listening to Herb Carneal and John Gordon. In '91 my older siblings and I all had "homer hankies" and we each picked a player that was "our guy." Mine was Shane Mack. Don't ask me to explain - I'm sure it had something to do with the fact that I was 8, had the third pick, couldn't pronounce Knoblauch, Hrbek or Gagne and Dan Gladden's mullet frightened me.

There is something very nastalgic about listening to a ballgame on the radio, and I still prefere radio over tv or even going to a game - although I do love sitting in the bleachers on a summer day. I'm hoping to add to my stadium tally someday. Currently it's a meager 6: Dome, Target field, Wrigley, Miller Park, Comerica and Rangers Ballpark.
In highscool I started to understand the game more, but it wasn't until college that I realized baseball was a beautiful game - the perfect game. I'll spare you my soliloquay on baseball; sufice it to say it was my first love and is my greatest love. . .
Unless it's football season.

I really like football - a lot.
The scale tips slightly in favor of college, but I certainly look forward to Sunday afternoons during the season. Without a doubt my love of football came about from my highscool years, when my brother played. His senior year the team was really good - made it several rounds in the playoffs - and it was great fun going to the games. Is there anything better than heading out to a highschool or college game on a crisp fall afternoon? Sadly Hillsdale had a miserable team all four years I was there and I gave absolutly no thought to pro football. But after getting married and moving to Texas, football reapeared on my sports radar. If you live in Texas and care anything about sports, football is god. It starts at a young age - small rural highschools have stadiums bigger than a lot of college stadiums! And they sell out every Friday night. Then of course you have the Big 12 - a powerhouse in football, with great rivalries - and finally there are the Cowboys - boo!
Thanks to Texas, my husband and the Pack, there is nothing I prefer more on a Sunday afternoon than a football game.
Unless it's March.

Is there anything more exhilarating than a college basketball game during the tournament? My only contention with college ball is that the tournament falls during Lent. Just when it's possible to watch one great game after another, and another, and another, you enter the season of self-denial and fasting. In many respects it makes finding something to give up for Lent pretty easy - but oh so hard!

In the past there were two sports I detested: pro basketball and hockey. Pro basketball - sloppy, lazy, thug-filled. Enough said. Hockey - just didn't understand the game . . . until 2010 winter olympics. By the time the gold medal game was played I was glued to the TV and talking power plays, penalty shots and shots on goal with Chris. By the time the Stanley cup rolled around, I was a hockey nut.

Recently we were given tickets to a Hawks-Wild game in St. Paul. It was a great game and a really fun outing. I'm pretty sure it's a good thing tickets are expensive, because I'd want to go a lot more often!
Chris and I at "The X"

My team allegiances are a bit odd and mostly have to do with where I was living when my love of the sport developed.
Baseball - Twins and Cubs, Rangers for the fun of it. Can't cheer for - White Sox and Yankees
Football - Packers, Badgers, Nebraska, Notre Dame, anyone playing Texas (OU, OSU, Texas Tech) small schools like TCU and Boise State, and the Bears (for domestic harmony). Can't cheer for - Cowboys, Vikings, Texas, Ohio State.
Basketball - Badgers, Kansas, Coach K. Can't cheer for - Professional basketball.
Hockey - Chicago Hawks.

Upon reflection, and considering I am able to write this lengthy of a post on sports, I'm not sure if "sports nut" is actually accurate. Good thing I gave up sports for Lent!

3 comments:

melissa said...

Hahaha! I remember you loving Shane Mack. =] And I just want to throw this out there..... I watched the 2010 NBA playoffs, Lakers vs Celtics, and really enjoyed it. [head shoved in a paper bag from shame] I've always hated NBA, but this was fun, even though the Celtics lost. I haven't watched a game since then, but I *might* watch the finals again. Just a thought. Oh, and I never realized what a sports FANATIC you are!!! =]

Chris said...

No shame, Missy! Now I have someone to watch the NBA finals with this year when the Bulls beat up on the Lakers!

Stephanie said...

Wow Miss, I am surprised. But I totally know how it goes - just the slightest casual interest can be turned into true fanship when you live with someone that really cares about the game or a specific team. I know my interest in sports has been colored and directed (at least somewhat) by Chris. But it looks like you two will be watching the NBA finals on your own - I'm just not willing to compromise my standards . . . yet ;)