28 April, 2008

Thoughts on Home

Yesterday evening I was pondering the subject of "Home" - mostly the Farm, which in many respects will always be home for me. My parents are selling it and the thought of loosing it is terribly sad to me. I miss it so terribly already - the smell, the feel, the look, the people. The more I remembered, the more I missed it all. I felt rather homeless. Of course, I'm not homeless, but the farm is where my roots are and it is where I grew up and it contains everything that is homey for me.

These thoughts were with me as Chris and I walked up campus to Mass that evening.

During Mass I was rather distracted with more thoughts and emotions flooding in. The feeling of homelessness was so acute. But in the sadness of this loss, and in the stillness after receiving communion, I heard a voice say "I am your Home."

And then . . .

"I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me, because I live and you will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father and you are in me and I in you." (The Gospel reading for the 6th Sunday after Easter)

"In him we live and move and have our being"


"Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me.
In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place of you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that were I am, there you may also be."

". . .receive you to Myself, that were I am, there you may also be. . ."

Home is where Christ is. Home is Christ.

And I was comforted in my moment of sadness, loneliness - homelessness.
We are never alone, and we are never homeless.

And I was also filled with gratitude that I am a member of the Church - literally "incorporated into the mystical body of Christ"- thankful that I was there, kneeling in front of the Blessed Sacrament, in that physical church - that I had just received Christ into me - that I was with Christ.

1 comment:

Grandma on the Farm said...

O God our help in ages past, our hope for years to come, Our shelter from the stormy blast, and our eternal home!
Under the shadow of Thy throne thy saints have dwelt secure; sufficient is thine arm alone, and our defense is sure.
Time, like an ever-rolling stream, bears all its years away, they fly forgotten as a dream dies at the opening day.
O God, our help in ages past, our hope for years to come,
Be thou our guide while life shall last, and our eternal home!
May everything the farm ever was distill into your soul, the flavor and aroma of the 'far off land', and may you be able to bring it forth, wherever you find yourself. love always, Mom